POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help : Re: Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:39:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface Rocks, using a single iso; could use a bit of help
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 10 Dec 2016 06:48:06
Message: <1320438699.503062758.332340.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
> Many years ago (around 2005) when I was pretty knowledgeable about
> isosurfaces, I wrote a macro for generating isosurface landscapes. I
> introduced so many variables however, that the macro was/is almost
> impractical ;-) and so it went forgotten by the world at large.
>
> Maybe you could glean bits and pieces from it for your rock macro?
> Essentially, my isosurface is a single iso.

Thank you sir, I humbly accept your offer. :)

You make a good point and UX case with regard to not necessarily exposing
parameters for everything.

I will endeavor to produce some targeted presets geared toward certain
purposes, and expose perhaps a single scalar parameter for "feature size"
(though by doing so I sort of put the lie to that choice of names) and an
integer to select the function, which would be presented as a macro which
wraps the more complex call of the "real" version, so both options are
there if folks decide thy want more control.

Ian