POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter Server Time
18 May 2024 08:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Reading the values of a object-parameter
Date: 4 Sep 2003 13:42:13
Message: <cjameshuff-AD6007.13421004092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f569d1754ba9a84cb0281a20@news.povray.org>,
 "gilroy" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Or, more briefly, many people believe that they are "programming" when they
> create a POV-Ray scene.  This group is not about writing programs IN
> POV-Ray; it's for discussing the programming that CREATES POV-Ray.  But the
> name doesn't make that entirely clear.

This is true, using the scripting language is programming. But wouldn't
the other groups look like a better place to ask the question? A short
glance at the groups should show people where everything goes...

> As for better names... I'm not sure I have an opinion.  Someone offered
> "povray.internals", which seems OK.  Almost any choice of name would at
> least avoid this unfortunate conflation of the two senses of "programming"
> POV-Ray.

But that name doesn't really have anything to do with programming...I
certainly wouldn't look there first when looking for information about
the source code. All the names I've seen are either less precise or
would just be misunderstood more often. Why can't people just take a
short look at the place where they're about to post a message?

> I think a lot of people assume that groups like povray.newusers are created
> to quarantine all the newusers so that veterans can more easily avoid them.
>  :)  For POV-Ray, this seems an unfair prejudice.

It's just so we don't have people asking "how do I make a sphere bigger"
in the same group as "what is the best tessellation for a sphere"...

Followups to povray.general...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/