POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : beetle 2 camera 1 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:02:33 EDT (-0400)
  beetle 2 camera 1 (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mike Miller
Subject: beetle 2 camera 1
Date: 14 Mar 2023 23:10:00
Message: <web.641135d039e36f37a30d213ddabc9342@news.povray.org>
beetle2 with blob plants.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'beetle2_cam1.jpg' (534 KB)

Preview of image 'beetle2_cam1.jpg'
beetle2_cam1.jpg

From: s day
Subject: Re: beetle 2 camera 1
Date: 15 Mar 2023 05:55:00
Message: <web.641194effbd2cb39b391f2d46a8f0b95@news.povray.org>
"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> beetle2 with blob plants.

Hi Mike

Very nice, the copper coloured texture on the beetle is great.

Did you model the beetle using blobs as well?

I have created a blob ant in the past and the beetle legs reminded me of my ant
a bit
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.538caf5f75a2cf57facb37460%40news.povray.org%3E/ant.png

Have not looked at Blender for a long time, never seemed to get very far with
GUI based modellers for some reason (mostly time I think).

Sean

Post a reply to this message

> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > beetle2 with blob plants.
>
> Hi Mike
>
> Very nice, the copper coloured texture on the beetle is great.
>
> Did you model the beetle using blobs as well?
>
> I have created a blob ant in the past and the beetle legs reminded me of my ant
> a bit

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.538caf5f75a2cf57facb37460%40news.povray.org%3E/ant.pn

> Have not looked at Blender for a long time, never seemed to get very far with
> GUI based modellers for some reason (mostly time I think).
>
> Sean

Thanks,
that ant is awesome. Looks like you used sub surface materials. Yes,
the body is blobs. The legs and antenna are cubic spline sweeps.
Mike.

Post a reply to this message

"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks,
> that ant is awesome. Looks like you used sub surface materials. Yes,
> the body is blobs. The legs and antenna are cubic spline sweeps.
> Mike.

Thanks I created the ant as part of an old IRTC entry:

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.53da216cf2c5caa7dded57b0%40news.povray.org%3E/decoy.pn
g?ttop=440167&toff=1150

The source for this scene (so including the ant and war of the worlds tripd) are
all in the zip file in
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.53da248f183fb6647dded57b0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=4
38210&toff=150

Sean

Post a reply to this message

> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > Thanks,
> > that ant is awesome. Looks like you used sub surface materials. Yes,
> > the body is blobs. The legs and antenna are cubic spline sweeps.
> > Mike.
>
> Thanks I created the ant as part of an old IRTC entry:

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.53da216cf2c5caa7dded57b0%40news.povray.org%3E/decoy.
pn
> g?ttop=440167&toff=1150
>
> The source for this scene (so including the ant and war of the worlds tripd) are
> all in the zip file in

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.53da248f183fb6647dded57b0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop
=4
> 38210&toff=150
>
> Sean

Excellent, I just snagged your file - re-linked an HDR and did a quick
rendering. Very cool Tripd creature. I love it.

I have a question > Have you seen a color mapping utility that writes something
similar to POV syntax for color_map { [pos color] } ?
Attached is Photoshop's gradient - looking for key'd color positions from 0-1.
I may write one myself if nothing exists. I really haven't done much of a
search.

thx
Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ph_color_ramp.jpg' (108 KB)

Preview of image 'ph_color_ramp.jpg'
ph_color_ramp.jpg

"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Excellent, I just snagged your file - re-linked an HDR and did a quick
> rendering. Very cool Tripd creature. I love it.

Quick renders are rare things indeed for me ;-) I do like it when I have a scene
without isosurfaces and SSLT (although you can switch that on/off in this scene
for the honey and ants) you forget how quick a render can be. The tripods render
very fast as they are just CSG. Most of my scenes tend to have isosurfaces in
them which are great but so slow.

I did a higher resolution render with just the tripods in and a different HDR
probe just now.

> I have a question > Have you seen a color mapping utility that writes something
> similar to POV syntax for color_map { [pos color] } ?
> Attached is Photoshop's gradient - looking for key'd color positions from 0-1.
> I may write one myself if nothing exists. I really haven't done much of a
> search.

I am not aware of one, not surprising if you look at my code as you will realise
I rely heavily on trial and error ;-)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tripods.png' (2580 KB)

Preview of image 'tripods.png'
tripods.png

> "Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >
> > Excellent, I just snagged your file - re-linked an HDR and did a quick
> > rendering. Very cool Tripd creature. I love it.
> >

> Quick renders are rare things indeed for me ;-) I do like it when I have a scene
> without isosurfaces and SSLT (although you can switch that on/off in this scene
> for the honey and ants) you forget how quick a render can be. The tripods render
> very fast as they are just CSG. Most of my scenes tend to have isosurfaces in
> them which are great but so slow.
>
> I did a higher resolution render with just the tripods in and a different HDR
> probe just now.
>
> > I have a question > Have you seen a color mapping utility that writes something
> > similar to POV syntax for color_map { [pos color] } ?
> > Attached is Photoshop's gradient - looking for key'd color positions from 0-1.
> > I may write one myself if nothing exists. I really haven't done much of a
> > search.
> >

> I am not aware of one, not surprising if you look at my code as you will realise
> I rely heavily on trial and error ;-)

Ah nice! I like what the HDR lighting is doing. Very realistic!

>> I rely heavily on trial and error ;-)
Same, I'm reluctant to post my code - I get pretty sloppy when I'm testing ideas
- especially materials.
Mike

Post a reply to this message