POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  3D Text with Sphere_sweeps (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Dave Blandston
Subject: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
Date: 20 Jun 2022 06:35:00
Message: <web.62b04c62ac40b3a1cf03b124607c1b34@news.povray.org>
Some notes:

The MakeCharacter () macro uses the following variables:

Coordinate [] is an array containing <x, y> spline coordinates plus a diameter
multiplier. The actual format is <x, y, multiplier>.

NPoints indicates the number of spline points in the Coordinate [] array.

HeightFactor adjusts the scale of the character without changing the diameter.

BaseRadius is the default sphere_sweep diameter.

UseLastMinsAndMaxs is useful for making multiple parts of a character to be
unioned together.

It's fairly easy but a little tedious to make characters with this macro. What
worked for me was to make a bitmap image of the characters with a paint program
then mark locations along a path following the center of the character strokes.
The <x, y> coordinates of the marks can then be typed into Coordinate [] array
entries and if necessary the diameter multipliers can be adjusted. With a little
practice one can achieve acceptable results. Don't forget that the first and
last locations aren't actually plotted since the macro uses the b_spline
sphere_sweep method.

Happy raytracing!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '3dtext.pov.txt' (11 KB)

"Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> Some notes:
> It's fairly easy but a little tedious to make characters with this macro. What
> worked for me was to make a bitmap image of the characters with a paint program
> then mark locations along a path following the center of the character strokes.

thinking that some code to "scan" a black+white/any high contrast image, as
image_map texture on a box or a plane, would automate that step (leaving only
the "tedium" of providing the char/word bitmaps :-))

> The <x, y> coordinates of the marks can then be typed into Coordinate [] array
> entries and if necessary the diameter multipliers can be adjusted. With a little
> practice one can achieve acceptable results. Don't forget that the first and
> last locations aren't actually plotted since the macro uses the b_spline
> sphere_sweep method.

am still quite amazed at how few points are needed.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> "Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> > Some notes:
> > It's fairly easy but a little tedious to make characters with this macro. What
> > worked for me was to make a bitmap image of the characters with a paint program
> > then mark locations along a path following the center of the character strokes.
>
> thinking that some code to "scan" a black+white/any high contrast image, as
> image_map texture on a box or a plane, would automate that step (leaving only
> the "tedium" of providing the char/word bitmaps :-))

I would say that since most TTF fonts are rendered using Bezier splines, it
would be most efficient to find a way to load in the control points from the
font file itself.

> > The <x, y> coordinates of the marks can then be typed into Coordinate [] array
> > entries and if necessary the diameter multipliers can be adjusted. With a little
> > practice one can achieve acceptable results. Don't forget that the first and
> > last locations aren't actually plotted since the macro uses the b_spline
> > sphere_sweep method.
>
> am still quite amazed at how few points are needed.

Well, that IS the idea behind using splines to render fonts.

Perhaps one way to transform the outline of the fonts, which is used to render
them as a prism {}, into a "centerline font" would be to employ the
inside/outside crossing number testing used for prisms, and calculate the
gradient and therefore the normal of the outline.  Then find the midpoint of
that vector to get a centerline control point for the sphere sweep.

Might be a little challenging with "forked" glyphs like E, F, K, etc....

Post a reply to this message

> I would say that since most TTF fonts are rendered using Bezier splines, it
> would be most efficient to find a way to load in the control points from the
> font file itself.

if you have access to the font file.  iiuc, DB's use of a(n intermediate) bitmap
has the advantage that any text (and not only text shapes) can be used.  _and_
you'd need an external utility to get the ttf data (sacrilege.. :-)).

> Perhaps one way to transform the outline of the fonts, which is used to render
> them as a prism {}, into a "centerline font" would be to employ the
> inside/outside crossing number testing used for prisms, and calculate the
> gradient and therefore the normal of the outline.  Then find the midpoint of
> that vector to get a centerline control point for the sphere sweep.

prism/"extruded" is interesting, could get sharp-edged shapes with complex
layouts of each "stroke".

> Might be a little challenging with "forked" glyphs like E, F, K, etc....

could not the same (sphere_sweep) data be used to position/help shape the
prism(s)?

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> if you have access to the font file.  iiuc, DB's use of a(n intermediate) bitmap
> has the advantage that any text (and not only text shapes) can be used.

Indeed.  But I think it would be possible to implement both, as one is sort of a
subset of the other.

  _and_
> you'd need an external utility to get the ttf data (sacrilege.. :-)).

Sacrilege indeed.   That's why we'd want to do something like convert the
javascript that already does this to SDL.

http://stevehanov.ca/blog/?id=143

> > Might be a little challenging with "forked" glyphs like E, F, K, etc....
>
> could not the same (sphere_sweep) data be used to position/help shape the
> prism(s)?

I was thinking that something like an E would be more than 1 sphere sweep, so
there would have to be some mechanism for determining where the joints/bends
are.
The prisms aren't the problem - that's just a continuous outline, which is easy.
 It's defining the centerline font where it's gets tricky

Post a reply to this message