POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 05:09:12 EDT (-0400)
  On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick.
Date: 14 Mar 2024 19:22:18
Message: <65f386aa$1@news.povray.org>
I often stop POV-Ray after parsing by adding an #error directive:

#error "Stopping after parse"

at the very bottom of some scene description language (SDL) code.

It works but, with the disadvantage of setting a non-zero return code;
something which makes testing the parser harder.

I've a few times talked about adding a new (SDL) directive like '#exit
<rc value>', perhaps.

Well, while continuing to work through the ini options and command line
flags, I stumbled across the following trick. We can effectively run
just the command line, ini file and scene file parsing with the command:

   povray scene.pov -d -p +wt0

Setting the thread count to zero causes POV-Ray to bail before rendering
with a clean, 0 return code - so long as nothing is otherwise wrong with
the scene set up.

It means I've got a better way to run parsing test cases and, should
anyone want to do it, you can use SDL as a sort of scripting language to
do other stuff.

The trick works too in v3.8 beta 2 and likely all recent, official
versions.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message