POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm not sleeping... Server Time
29 Mar 2024 01:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  I'm not sleeping... (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: I'm not sleeping...
Date: 18 Nov 2021 15:20:00
Message: <web.6196b52b10b173121f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
No, not the Counting Crows song.

Primary laptop has spazzed out - linux mint logo appears, then I get a blinking
cursor (underscore) and that's the extent of my OS for the time being.  HDD's
not dead - I can boot up with a USB stick and access all the files.
I think it has something to do with video...  but not sure how to fix it and get
back to a default state.

My backup laptop (this) boots up fine, but frequently I find it as an
unresponsive black screen in the morning, and have to reboot.

So, those are (some of) the challenges I'm experiencing right now.

Post a reply to this message

> Primary laptop has spazzed out - linux mint logo appears, then I get a blinking
> cursor (underscore) and that's the extent of my OS for the time being.  HDD's
> not dead - I can boot up with a USB stick and access all the files.
> I think it has something to do with video...  but not sure how to fix it and get
> back to a default state.
>
> My backup laptop (this) boots up fine, but frequently I find it as an
> unresponsive black screen in the morning, and have to reboot.
>
> So, those are (some of) the challenges I'm experiencing right now.

Hi Bald Eagle,

Wow, that really sucks.

I have zero experience with Linux... And I can't even properly diagnose my own
hardware issues (computer hard freezing when stressed), but have you run am
internet search using the following keywords? linux not booting blinking cursor

One person was saying it might be an issue with a full disk.

My only useful suggestion is to backup anything important pronto.

I really hope you don't need a new rig, but if you do, some good deals might be
found on ebay. That's how I got a semi-used laptop for cheap many years ago.

Regarding the lack of sleep... my only ideas for that involve chemical
intervention and physical exertion (the latter being something I don't practice
often enough :/ ).

Sam

Post a reply to this message