POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ideas. New f_distribution inbuilt function. f_hash usage. (povr branch). Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:05:44 EDT (-0400)
  Ideas. New f_distribution inbuilt function. f_hash usage. (povr branch). (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Ideas. New f_distribution inbuilt function. f_hash usage. (povr branch).
Date: 15 Aug 2021 10:42:45
Message: <611927e5$1@news.povray.org>
A central intent for f_hash is a method by which we can create pseudo
random streams from geometric, functional, color or whatever "seeds" -
on the fly.

A sub aim is to use these f_hash "streams" as input to some of the
common statistical distributions to create patterns - on the fly.

Elsewhere, I'd mentioned a plan to perhaps replace/extend the
distributions in rand.inc with those shipped with c++11 onward. This
idea hasn't panned out well - for a few reasons. Thinking rand.inc will
stick around as is for a while.

What I've decided to do in the near term is add an f_distribution()
function from which we can 'run' various distributions. I've only got a
handful going, but it looks promising.

This means of implementation also allows alternative modes which are
likely not useful in a purely statistical applications. For example, the
geometric distribution supports a continuous value return mode in
addition to the usual discrete value one.

An image is attached showing four of the implemented distributions of
f_distribution as patterns. Using a cylindrical gradient into f_hash()
as the initial seed(s) to the stream(s) required.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'distributionstory.jpg' (500 KB)

Preview of image 'distributionstory.jpg'
distributionstory.jpg