POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : 3.8 macro parsing errors : Re: 3.8 macro parsing errors Server Time
27 Jul 2024 07:50:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.8 macro parsing errors
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Jun 2024 20:05:00
Message: <web.6677662618d864b51f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> On 6/22/24 01:58, William F Pokorny wrote:
> > With respect to SDL variables, your asking a simple sounding,
> > complicated question. 🙂
> >
> > Let me think about what a good answer would be.
>
> OK. I've written up a first draft of documentation I plan to include in
> the next yuqk release (R15). See the attached txt file.
>
> Bill P.

Thank you for this.  :)

"So long as the maths are entirely within the SDL/VM/Messaging framework in the
yuqk fork, you can use the double's range of values:

    double min = +-2.22507e-308
    double max = +-1.79769e+308
"

:O   Holy crap.

"In official POV-Ray releases - or where you want to play things safer to home
in yuqk - using the single float ranges are more stable / reliable.

    float min = +-1.17549e-38
    float max = +-3.40282e+38
"

WAY more range than I thought there was!

So values of 10^-16 shouldn't be too big of a deal.

- BW