POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Textured flexible cylinder : Re: Textured flexible cylinder Server Time
8 May 2024 13:59:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textured flexible cylinder
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Apr 2024 21:05:00
Message: <web.662c4e91703632a81f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> Attached is a cylinder bent around a circular arc.
>
> How did I get the texture to follow the bend?  Easy: I spent 3 days
> throwing spaghetti at a wall until all of it stuck.
>
> I have to do this every time I use the cylindrical warp.  I can explain
> all about how POV-Ray handles gamma and sRGB, but warp { cylindrical }
> is still black magic to me.
>
> The code will be in the next major release of DeskLamp.

Well, to be fair, you're doing one of those Cousin-Ricky level things that I
often find myself doing.

Cylindrical means cylindrical.
And you're deviating from that to toroidal.

If I had to guess the best way to do that, it would be by geometric inversion.
Your cylinder would be a torus of infinite radius, and then you'd translate it
relative to the center of inversion until you got a torus with the desired major
radius.

Dunno if recounting my cylindrical warp woes will help you any:

http://news.povray.org/povray.bugreports/thread/%3Cweb.5c01b8a81374e197765e06870%40news.povray.org%3E/

Excellent job getting it all to work!
I'm sure it must have been a hard slog to the finish line.

- BE