POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial : Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial Server Time
5 May 2024 13:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial
From: ingo
Date: 25 Apr 2024 07:20:00
Message: <web.662a3b54b1d4fdc117bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>

> "The srgb keyword [...]"

The problem is I don't understand the problem,

There's three ways in dealing with colour:
1. the easy way, everything in linear space (as POV-Ray does)
2. the proper way, CIE colour space.
3. the messy way (srgb et all)

in 1 & 2 every operations is done within the same colour space  so the results
are always the same. In linear colour space operations are easy, in CIE they are
hard(er) as it is a curved space. Only at the very end of the chain of
operations the result is adapted to the presentation method screen (nowadays
srgb), print on paper, print on slide, print om film, carve in wood, etch in
zinc, etc.

The messy way (3) kind off starts at the output and you have to adapt the input,
that's a strange way. The output isn't a fixed thing.

I kind of understand why the srgb colour was introduced in POV-Ray, but it feels
very wrong to me. A build in function, fromsrgb( ) would have been fine and
explicit. Maybe it can still be changed?

ingo