POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.tutorials : Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial : Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial Server Time
5 May 2024 15:00:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma and the sRGB Keywords in POV-Ray 3.7: a Tutorial
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Apr 2024 14:50:00
Message: <web.66295385b1d4fdc1b959fb4725979125@news.povray.org>

> I do believe it was stated somewhere above that POV-Ray takes into account the
> effective scene gamma... so I would recommend digging around in the source code.

https://news.povray.org/web.5f8799f076c60ba860e0cc3d0%40news.povray.org

"The srgb keyword always returns a color that *looks* the same across all
assumed_gamma settings.  To take your example, srgb 0.75 will *look* the same
whether your scene uses assumed_gamma 1, assumed_gamma 2.2, or assumed_gamma
srgb.  But this implies that, internally, it will evaluate to different rgb
values depending on the assumed_gamma setting.

When you use assumed_gamma srgb, the scene's nonlinearity aligns with the color
definition, which is why rgb and srgb return the same value.  And since sRGB is
close to gamma 2.2, rgb and srgb return close, but not identical, values under
assumed_gamma 2.2."