POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray is "PIEware" : Re: POV-Ray is "PIEware" Server Time
3 May 2024 17:00:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray is "PIEware"
From: ingo
Date: 19 Apr 2024 07:55:00
Message: <web.66225a9c18d5960217bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>

> A box has 8 corners.  You now have _7_ left.

 ... incomplete thought disclaimer ;) I was doing a quick 2d  visualization.

> You're not going to find (all the) holes with that method. Trace suffers from an
> object's (potential) self-occlusion.

Yes that's related to your other question, "what's the box size". Too big and
you miss holes too small and you and you waste cpu ticks.

It would be helpful if we had Roentgen images. Can we create them? Maybe. Fill
the object with an absorbing medium. X-Ray from three sides, but how to analyze
the result? Again, it would be nice if the ray density sampling data could be
written to a file (per object).

But, I think your method, trace, move by epsilon, trace, should work. You'd get
all the object/ empty space transitions. Depending on the goal, instead of
tracing from the camera, you could scan from one surface of the bounding box to
the opposite. Store all intersections in arrays of arrays. For test render each
point as a small sphere.

ingo