POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray is "PIEware" : Re: POV-Ray is "PIEware" Server Time
3 May 2024 19:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray is "PIEware"
From: ingo
Date: 19 Apr 2024 02:15:00
Message: <web.66220b3b18d5960217bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>

> What I'm thinking is that you:
> 1. shoot a ray with trace () from the camera to the World Coordinates that are
> back calculated from the screen pixel position.
> 2. in the event that you get a Hit, you increment the position farther along the
> ray by Epsilon, and initiate a subsequent trace () call.
> 3. repeat until you get <0, 0, 0> for the normal vector.

Would it detect the hole of the doughnut?

Marching cubes should find all cavities in an object.

That brings me to another line of thought. A mesh engine. With the nearly same
SDL generate mesh' of al POV-Ray objects. Difference would be an added meshify
keyword with an int for the base resolution of the mesh. A mesh resolution
multiplier could be set in global_settings so you can make the mesh resolution
fitting the image resolution.

It would make the SDL the heart of the system, from there one can ray trace
solids, or mesh. One could push the mesh to openGL, or use a scan line renderer.

ingo