POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. : Re: On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick. Server Time
3 May 2024 14:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On new directive to stop after parsing. A near term trick.
From: jr
Date: 31 Mar 2024 07:35:00
Message: <web.660949d0ca6c83fa1686e436cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 3/29/24 13:08, jr wrote:
> > can you use BE's "to file" idea ?  ie write the exit / status code as last line
> > when 'all_file=true', perhaps.
>
> I think not reliably from within POV-Ray itself(a).
>
> Some events, like segmentation faults, are being generated by libraries
> in use by POV-Ray and they are, more or less, crashing the program in a
> way the operating system ends up handling.
>
> (a) - The 0, 1, 2 return codes are ones handled by POV-Ray itself and
> these could be written to stderr / cerr prior to exit, but not to one of
> the output streams as defined and handled by POV-Ray.

was / am thinking documentation.  it would have been handy to read (at the end
of 'alltext.out') whether there were warnings and or (non-library) errors.

> The yuqk fork has a getenv() function ...

interesting.  what use case do you have in mind ?  (un)set in-scene "flags" ?

> I don't know how to handle self generated return codes with only one
> call to the 'povray' executable.

not sure I understand, the "(a)" above would do though, aiui.

regards, jr.