POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Least Squares fitting : Re: Least Squares fitting Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:08:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Least Squares fitting
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 11 Mar 2023 11:30:00
Message: <web.640cab8889b6dca71f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > I can imagine following application: we have volume, constrained by low-
> > poly mesh and want to fill it with spheres with radiuses from Rmin to
> > Rmax, achieving randomized, natural-like form.
>
> Well, that of course suggests that there's an analogous spherical method.  I'll
> have to look and see...

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1506/1506.02776.pdf

I have no idea where the crazy "sphere parametrization" equations come from, but
I used _normal_ equations, and fixed a typo in the last line of code (needs
-'s), and got that to work.

Render is the test data in the table of the paper.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'leastsquaressphere1.png' (59 KB)

Preview of image 'leastsquaressphere1.png'
leastsquaressphere1.png