POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh2 syntax clarification : Re: mesh2 syntax clarification Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh2 syntax clarification
From: jr
Date: 8 Dec 2022 02:55:00
Message: <web.639197dc855140c4c0ce110b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> I'm not sure how anyone would go about finding and filling "holes" (missing
> triangle faces), but maybe put any idea you have as comments in the code in case
> someone decides to work on something like that.
>
> Also make sure you have the utility write an "inside vector" so that the mesh
> can be used in CSG.
>
> Jeff Houck wrote and "stl2pov" utility, and (doing a search for "stl2pov")
> apparently several other people have as well. Just in case you wanted to look
> over what other people have done, in case they decided to go the mesh2 route.
>
> jr has pointed out that there exists the GNU Triangulated Surface library

the GTS library provides 'gts_surface_is_closed' to check for holes, and there
is a "repair" utility (part of download) for that case (though I have not used
that yet).  there are 'stl2gts' utilities out there, complemented by 'gts2pov'
(link below).

re order of vertices, I think you're right, I seem to remember it matters when
the normal(s) need calculating.

regards, jr.

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WT-D3MP4qYxnP1BYu5f_ZN_xmOo1P5W/view?usp=sharing>