POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle - are we bored yet? : Re: Crackle - are we bored yet? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:59:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle - are we bored yet?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Dec 2022 14:35:00
Message: <web.638ba4527dc652cc1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
I made the type of function you're looking for, but I can't find the link to it,
assuming I posted it.

But Trevor Quayle wrote one also:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/message/%3Cweb.4784496ba8d0eaa2ae8612c0%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.4784496ba8d0
eaa2ae8612c0%40news.povray.org%3E

See how it's written differently than a macro.

Once you define a function, that's it.  You're done.
When POV-Ray evaluates things during render time, anything in the code has
already executed and finished.  That's why you can't stick macros into functions
for render time, use macros during render time, or change what a function
evaluates to  (the underlying equation) during render time.

Functions are equations.   Macros are algorithms.  It helps to think about it
that way to understand the difference and stay out of trouble.