POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity and emitting media : Radiosity and emitting media Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:37:28 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity and emitting media
From: Chris R
Date: 30 Nov 2022 09:40:00
Message: <web.63876b0420ca01339c20ce8e5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
I am working on a scene with a Christmas tree with tiny white lights all over
it.  Since there are too many individual lights to model them as light sources,
I am using media emission and radiosity.

When I crank up the emission brightness enough so that the lights light up the
surrounding tree branches realistically, they also create large bright spots on
the walls surrounding the tree, which is not very realistic.  If I were modeling
them as light sources, I would just add fading to solve the problem, but it
doesn't look like there is a way to do that with radiosity and emissive media.
I've played with max_sample and adc_bailout, but they uniformly reduce the
effect of the bright objects, so I lose the illumination of the tree branches.

I was thinking maybe the fade_distance and fade_power in the interior statement
might work, but they seem to apply to light passing through the object, not
emissions from the media in the object.

Am I missing something, or is there just no current support for fading and
radiosity from emissive objects?

-- Chris R.