POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crackle again : Re: Crackle again Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:35:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle again
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 25 Nov 2022 20:40:00
Message: <web.63816d6ec37f1de01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> > Also wondering if the Delaunay triangulation can be done as well.  Rendering
> > the dual would be a cool effect.
>
> No idea - this is a bit of a hack! I imagine triangulation could be done with an
> SDL macro, and then the triangles could be colored however you want... but I
> have no experience implementing Delaunay triangulation so I'm not sure.

So, it looks like what happens, is that we draw a line perpendicular to a
Voronoi edge and connect it to another Voronoi center point.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170922181219/http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~samuelp/del_project.html
(see diagrams at end)

So, somewhere, I know I have the "calculate the closest point on a line to
another point not on the line" macro.  We can use that to create a vector
perpendicular to the line, and then somewhere along that extended vector ought
to be a point in an adjacent cell.

But now I'm thinking that if we are finding the closest point when constructing
the Voronoi, can't we somehow leverage that and draw the line right when we know
our starting center and the just-found closest point?

Much to think about.

We also don't have a Delaunay pattern implemented in POV-Ray, so that would be a
cool thing to add.