POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Impending Moray Source Release : Re: Impending Moray Source Release Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Impending Moray Source Release
From: Convinced
Date: 24 Nov 2022 06:20:00
Message: <web.637f52fcb783901183179f086ea30fe@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,

> > Chris and jr could discuss some of the things that they've found in the "SO MANY
> > FILES!!!" that people with coding experience can begin to think about and plan
> > for.
> >
> > Also, past and current users can discuss, explain, or preferably just _list_ in
> > as concise a manner as possible, what they perceive as the specific advantages
> > and disadvantages of the GUI, and any bugs or limitations that they have
> > experienced while using the software.
>
> as you probably know, C++ isn't one of "my" languages, so I'm in no position to
> meaningfully comment on the code in the ways required for the above.  however, I
> do think it a great idea to use this thread to bring together recollections and
> opinions re using Moray, as TdG's reply (thanks Thomas) already shows, this
> thread could grow to be a valuable resource.
>

> regards, jr.
Good to see this discussion is at last getting results.
As a 'senior' user of this type of software, I have 30+ years experience of CAD
and related software in the engineering design industry. How many can remember
Autocad 1,2. v2.1 was the first usable version. I sometimes wonder how it ever
caught on.
Moray caught my attention (DOS) in that it was integrated with an excellent
renderer (POVRAY) and it could actually be used as a design tool as well as for
building scenes, etc.
As for features, I recall Moray had some parametric capabilities, I could build
assemblies with it that were dimensionally correct. This capability would be a
must as would 3D printing.
The UI was OK and usable and intuitive as such. Ease of use is essential without
gimmicks, all the benifits of CAD sftware is important.
I've ressurected a few old programs and managed to run them in WIN 10 64bit and
I am amazed at how marvellous they were, TrueSpace,Hexagon, Carrara to name a
few.
Please whatever you decide to do don't lose the magic of these programs.
I will pass on happy to know that this has been done.
Thanks for your efforts.