POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Phong BRDF pigment { function{} } : Re: Phong BRDF pigment { function{} } Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:57:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Phong BRDF pigment { function{} }
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Nov 2022 19:50:00
Message: <web.63703e666d24d701f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I've studied your code some more - and done some experiments with it.
> You are one the right track, but unfortunately I don't have enough time
> to look further at it and suggest more changes.

No worries.  I should focus on figuring out how clipka was going to apply the
importance sampling to the BRDF function first, and then I can generalize
everything to see how it works with once I've moved past the "assume a spherical
object" phase.  I have some scribbles and a general plan.

> I did a similar experiment some years ago:

Yikes!   Was that really 19 years ago??!
I was smack-dab in the middle of my PhD research at that time.

> Perhaps it can help if you look at the source code for it:

Yes - I was fiddling some more with things today, and was thinking of heading in
exactly that same direction.  Eventually.

That also answers the question I had about how you created some of those
interesting torus renders, and explains how you got the color effects.  Bonus!
:)