POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Wood design program test version : Re: Wood design program test version Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:59:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood design program test version
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Jul 2022 14:55:00
Message: <web.62c3373a4b788a981f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> > However, one very important thing is the way decimals are written to the
> > example include files. My system uses 'dots' (example: 3.9432) instead
> > of 'commas' (example: 3,9432) like is done by your app. I guess that
> > some countries/systems do so standard, but not all.
>
> I use 'meter' as the length unit, so that output result is caused by my habit.
> The dots are decimal points.

Units don't appear to be the issue.   The representation of decimal fractions is
what Thomas is concerned about.

> I want to ask a question, a number contain commas can be read as 'one' number
> correct by POV-Ray?
> Can 3,9432 be a number?

Nope.  That would be a string.  AFAIK, all versions of POV-Ray use only numerals
and the "+,-, and ." glyphs to represent numerical values.  Formatting those
values using str and probably a macro would be necessary to show the usual
commas between every step of 10^3.

> > If this is an issue for better international use, could you make
> > this an initial choice to make by the user? Or is there another way to
> > change this easily?
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
> Currently You might need use 'scale' to the pigment to convert it to your
> customary unit. I will add a list(menu) to select unit on the "Basic
> Profile"(first page) in the future version. But I need time to research this.

I think he means "Is there a way to specify whether to use "," or "." for the
data's output format.