POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps : Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:43:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Jun 2022 20:15:00
Message: <web.62b10d0d18b1901c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
> "Dave Blandston" <IsN### [at] protonmailch> wrote:
> > Here's a question for Bald Eagle - would your SmoothMinFunction code work on
> > this object? I added a picture to the povray.binaries.images thread highlighting
> > some of the areas where sphere_sweeps are unioned together where your
> > SmoothMinFunction would dramatically improve the appearance if it could be
> > applied. I looked at the SmoothMinFunction code and I must admit, the math is
> > way beyond my abilities.
>
> It should work just fine so long as the pieces that you want to smooth between
> are separate parts.
>
> You really don't need to understand any of the math - you just plug in the
> objects to the function - just like macro arguments.

isosurface {
    function {SmoothMin_Poly2 (_Box
(x*cos(Angle)-sin(Angle),y,z*sin(Angle)+cos(Angle)), _Sphere (x-3.5,y,z),
Strength)}
}

Now the thing is, the objects have to be converted into isosurfaces for all of
this to work:

#declare _Box = function (X, Y, Z) { max((X*X-1),(Y*Y-1),(Z*Z-1)) }
#declare _Sphere = function { x*x + y*y + z*z - 1 }

And so you'd need to do a Bill P ObjectAsIso type conversion.  Because you can't
have the infinite gradient between object and no-object.

So it would work, but it might be rather slow...