POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps : Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:55:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Text with Sphere_sweeps
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 20 Jun 2022 18:00:00
Message: <web.62b0edce18b1901c22d125f7607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> That's why we'd want to do something like convert the
> javascript that already does this to SDL.
>
> http://stevehanov.ca/blog/?id=143

That looks like a promising method. That was what I wanted to do from the
beginning but I don't have the programming skill. Completely automating the
process would be difficult for the reasons you guys have already mentioned but
being able to extract the spline points from a .ttf file would be extremely
useful. POV-Ray can already read the data so I wonder if it would be possible to
export it easily.

I also considered using Jr's idea of using an image_map and that would allow
easier fine-tuning.

It would be great if software existed that allowed one to draw curves over a
background picture and export the data. This is close
https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/27512-trs-splinemaster-v143-a-line-maker-july-1-2019/
but it appears to use a different type of curve. It would still be helpful if it
could export the control points to a .txt file to save having to type them.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston