POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow and Ice : Re: Snow and Ice Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:38:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow and Ice
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 21 Jan 2022 01:40:00
Message: <web.61ea5459c38762a12636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> The image below uses the same texture and isosurface noise functions to model
> the snow as I had used for the previous snowman, but with SSLT turned off.  I
> attempted to render it with SSLT, and after 9 days it was only 14% complete,
> (about half of the roof).  I imagine once it hit the icicles it would stall
> completely.

This may be an unworkable suggestion but I'll mention it anyway in case it gives
you another more workable idea - it looks like you're using area lights which
may be a factor in the rendering speed issue. Maybe you can use the light_group
feature to isolate the lighting for the snow from the rest of the scene. If it
works then that would be a major cheat that would make the scene look a little
less realistic but maybe you can minimize the effect somehow. I tried to use
photons with a light_group recently and it didn't work but I haven't tried it
with SSLT.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston