POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stone with Veins : Re: Stone with Veins Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:52:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stone with Veins
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 28 Dec 2021 15:35:00
Message: <web.61cb73edc205c2d42636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Ah, a fellow Paint.net user ;-) I'm currently running Windows 10; my previous
> go-to app for graphics work was an *old* version of Photoshop (which ran under
> Windows XP and even 7 with some fiddling), so it is taking me awhile to learn
> workarounds for some of PS's more advanced features.

I bought the last version of Photo Shop before it became subscription-only and
it's invaluable of course but I prefer the speed and simplicity of Paint.net
whenever possible, which I find is most of the time.

> Your result is really beautiful, and those veins look...real! That's a great
> technique you've come up with; I plan to look at your code, thanks for posting
> it.

Thanks for the generous compliment, just be warned: trial-and-error is
necessary. The final result depends on how the texture layers randomly stack up.
The current code is not at all sophisticated in it's ability to be controlled in
a predictable manner. However, POV-Ray is a wonderful thing and that can
certainly be accomplished!

One more thing that might be worth exploring is the selection of color(s) that
make up the transparent portion of each layer. Currently, the transparent
portions are set to Black or White (via the variable "WhiteLevel"). Using a
value greater than one or less than zero is also interesting.

There are lots of possibilities to explore. I discovered that layered textures
don't work quite the way I thought they did, they work better than I thought.
Thank you once again POV-Ray programmers!

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston