POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A head full of hair : Re: A head full of hair Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A head full of hair
From: Samuel B
Date: 21 Sep 2021 20:50:00
Message: <web.614a7d06467a8aa7cb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Following an old discussion in 2014:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.52dff97746aac96b7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=391452
&moff=21

> I took up Robert McGregor's code to see how it could be tweaked to
> obtain a nice haircut. 10000 hairs were planted here. To give a rough
> approximation: parsing took about 10 minutes and complete (stochastic)
> render about half an hour with an i5 machine (Win10; Pov version 3.8).
> The small highlights on the hairs resulted from a combination
> normal/finish choices.

Hey, a fellow i5 owner :) I've got a 6500 here. It's a really good chip.

Ten minutes of parsing seems a little steep. Is the code having to evaluate
every triangle, or just the scalp when choosing to place a hair? And I know
sphere_sweeps can be pretty slow on their own, but I thought they just impacted
the render time. Thirty minutes of render time doesn't seem as terrible as it
could be, but it's still a little high.

Did I ever post my experiments with hair? I was using an .obj-to-.pov converter
and trying to grow hair from a mesh. The way I had it set up was if a triangle
was too small it only had a small chance to grow a hair, otherwise it would try
to grow a certain number of hairs for a given triangle's area. I think I was
using strings of cones though, and not sphere_sweeps.

Sam

P.S. Thanks for reminding me of Wallace and Gromit. It's a great series. Just
watched A Close Shave. What a gem of a flick :D