POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Sep 2021 13:30:00
Message: <web.61437e38b21f010c1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> > Aren't the HKL values just the vector normals of the planes?
> > That's what the wikipedia articles suggested on my brief skim.
> >
> > Would not plane {y, 0} have an hkl index of <0,1,0>?
> >
> > Not sure what the overall goal is, so not sure what to suggest to test this.
> >
> If I remember correctly, that is indeed the case I believe.
>
> --
> Thomas

So then, to some degree, the unit cell for the crystal should be some form of
intersection between all of the planes that the hkl indices define. (?)  Does
the file format include any data that would serve as an offset?

Creating the most basic crystal shapes, probably starting with cubic NaCl, might
give a clue as to how to code an implementation of that notational system.