POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Samuel B
Date: 15 Sep 2021 18:25:00
Message: <web.61427224756c3d5acb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 14-9-2021 om 01:35 schreef Samuel B.:
> > (...) I'm not convinced everything we are referring to are the same
> > structures. (...)
>
> It /was/ the short answer ;-)
>
> There probably is happening more than just rills indeed, but I don't
> know what they could be. There are features that look like lava flows,
> like in the upper part, against the terminator, and seemingly coming
> from a (impact) crater. Could you point out those things you see? I am
> unable to relate them to something I recognise.

Attached is an image highlighting the areas I was talking about.

"A" points to three features I suspect might have been produced by asteroids
scraping the surface. Notice how they seem to have occurred on the sides or
upper portions of a (really large) sloping hill? To me that indicates they were
perhaps caused by asteroids hitting the moon at glancing angles... But I can
definitely see how they could have been caused by collapsed lava tubes.

"B" encircles the area of sinuous ridges. They do appear to emanate from an
impact site. Are they lava flows as you suggested? Or dust accumulation?

> Otherwise, what does NASA say about it all?

Lol, I should definitely check instead of just guessing. (But guessing is so
much fun sometimes ;))

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'moonb-areas-of-interest.jpg' (174 KB)

Preview of image 'moonb-areas-of-interest.jpg'
moonb-areas-of-interest.jpg