POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
18 Apr 2024 10:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Samuel B
Date: 13 Sep 2021 19:40:00
Message: <web.613fe050756c3d5acb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
> Op 13/09/2021 om 01:14 schreef Samuel B.:
> > P.S. If you look closely, you'll find some interesting things... You can see
> > what appears to be scratches in the moon's surface.(...) You'll also see what
appears to
> > be drifts of dust forming sinuous ridges.
>
> The short answer, for both features: Lunar Rills --> either collapsed or
> not, lava tunnels.

Thanks for the new term. I think you may be right... mostly.

However, I'm not convinced everything we are referring to are the same
structures. I looked up an atlas of known moon rilles, and the features I was
initially observing weren't highlighted on the map, nor were what I saw when I
made my first remarks things that resembled rilles in their entirety. But I'm
also not /un/convinced! Some of what I saw may have indeed been collapsed lava
tubes. But some were also on higher portions of low, sloping hills... the kind
of place you would expect a glancing asteroid to leave a mark. And the sinuous
ridges I also observed looked like dust that piled up by heavy winds. But since
I am fully willing to be wrong, I'll accept any and all corrections to my
misconceptions ;D

Sam