POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
24 Apr 2024 23:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Samuel B
Date: 12 Sep 2021 19:20:00
Message: <web.613e89f0756c3d5acb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
"Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Just testing out some moon maps.

Final render in this series. Zoom in to see all the details.

This version uses the medium-resolution color map 'lroc_color_poles_4k.tif', and
the highest resolution displacement map available: 'ldem_64_uint'. As a tiff.
that sucker is over 500mb in size, but only about 350mb as a png. It takes
several seconds for POV-Ray to parse it, but that's not so bad. (I converted the
map from tiff to png using Ive's nifty image program called IC. Thank you Ive
for the program, and thank you Thomas for the recommendation :))

The scene still uses radiosity and a reflecting plane, but I added ground fog
this time around. The sun's position is not realistic.

Sam

P.S. If you look closely, you'll find some interesting things... You can see
what appears to be scratches in the moon's surface. Were these caused by
asteroids that hit the moon at a glancing angle? You'll also see what appears to
be drifts of dust forming sinuous ridges. Were the asteroid impacts powerful
enough to vaporize minerals and cause temporary gaseous wind? Were these ridges
perhaps formed in part by electrostatic forces? Or were they simply the result
of traveling dust that happened to settle just right? I'd be interested in your
thoughts!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'moonb1m_56s-plus-lb7b55m_42s.jpg' (345 KB)

Preview of image 'moonb1m_56s-plus-lb7b55m_42s.jpg'
moonb1m_56s-plus-lb7b55m_42s.jpg