POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) support for PovRay SDL files : Re: The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) suppor= Server Time
27 Jul 2024 07:46:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Raysnail - WIP, a probability based raytracer with (limited) suppor=
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 18 Jul 2024 10:38:47
Message: <669928f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/17/24 21:08, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Hj. Malthaner" <me@home> wrote:
>
>> In regard to the parser,
>
> Maybe before you get too far into that, take a look at:

https://journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2011/03/19/pratt-parsers-expression-parsing-made-easy/

Interesting, I had not heard of PRATT parsers before.

I think I'll stick with a recursive descent parser though, because it's
a more widely known approach, even if the code is less compact.

The structure of a recursive descent parser resembles the grammar quite
closely which a benefit too, I think, with the grammar being of the docs
already.