POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floating - WIP : Re: Floating - WIP Server Time
3 May 2024 17:51:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating - WIP
From: Alain Martel
Date: 18 Apr 2024 13:35:50
Message: <662159f6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-04-18 à 08:56, RATH, CHRISTOPHER A a écrit :
> On 4/17/2024 12:17 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>> On 2024-04-17 08:28 (-4), RATH, CHRISTOPHER A wrote:
>>>>
>>> This is a ways from being done, but I wanted to share the updated image
>>> with the bubbles fixed.  The balloon texture is still not quite right,
>>> even when I render with radiosity (which this version does not).
>>
>> I doubt radiosity makes any difference here.  I would give Alain's
>> suggestion of blurred reflection a try.  If you haven't seen it yet, the
>> technique is at:
>>
>> https://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_13
>>
>> To avoid having this technique stall and take forever, use Alain's
>> modification:
>>
>> https://news.povray.org/49b9809b%241%40news.povray.org
>>
>> And I would cut the reflection in half or even lower; and if you're
>> using finish-level Fresnel, remember to use the reduced reflection as
>> its argument:
>>
>> finish
>> { fresnel 0.5
>>    reflection { 0.5 fresnel }
>>    conserve_energy
>> }
>>
>> The reflection of the water highlights on the right edge of the balloon
>> looks suspiciously metallic.  Is this not a rubber balloon?
>>
> I looked at the code for doing the blurred reflections and started
> experimenting with it.  I was able to get a nice blurring mirror using
> CSG objects and this technique where I can play with the variables.
>
> However, the balloon is an isosurface with a pretty small accuracy value
> to remove artifacts, so hitting it with 40X more rays drops the
> rendering to a halt.  I can get it to go with a small blur count, but I
> don't think that will give me the blur effect.
>
> I'm still playing with it.  If I can find a good way to create the
> balloon using CSG instead of isosurfaces that may be the better
> solution, since I don't need a bumpy surface.
>
> -- Chris R
Then, you need to use the micro-normal technique. Add a normal statement
scaled very small.

normal{granite scale 0.01}

Then use a reasonable amount of antialiasing. Without antialiasing, the
micro-normal will result in a grainy image.

Optionally : You may add some averaged blurring using a small number of
textures. Using averaged textures and micro-normals, you can use about 4
to 6 averaged textures and get very good results.