POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floating - WIP : Re: Floating - WIP Server Time
3 May 2024 18:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating - WIP
From: RATH, CHRISTOPHER A
Date: 18 Apr 2024 08:52:05
Message: <66211775$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/17/2024 5:32 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I really like the trees.
> Wondering if you can divvy them up by progressively subtracting inverted cones
> from them and recombining the sections with some randomness to make them a
> little less perfectly conical.
>
> The planks on the bench need to be far thicker.
>
> I have no doubt that you can figure out what to do with the granite blocks.
>
> I'd experiment with jiggling and bending the water spouts, and adding in a
> verdigris patina to the texture.
>
> The grass and paths are looking good.
> For the paths, consider that grass usually grows inward from the edges, you may
> have rogue tufts in the middle of the path, and perhaps ruts with water /
> different texture or color - maybe cracked mud.
> Wildflowers, dandelions, bees, butterflies...
>
> Would be great if you could throw a few birds into the scene.
> Maybe a squirrel.
>
> The field looks rather - empty.  Not saying dump some trash onto it, but maybe a
> bike, a sunbathing towel, ... just some more indicators that it's been recently
> visited and used.  A trash can and or a drinking fountain would be cool too.
>
> - BE

The trees are isosurfaces using a cone function with noise added in to
get the layers of branches.  I can add some noise to the slope function
that drives the main shape and perturb the central access as well.  I
was surprised, though, by how nice they look with so little effort.

The spouts actually shoot bubbles, but you are right, the texture is
just a pure RC3Metal.  They need a little texture as well as some
corrosion, and the directions they are pointing don't have any noise in
them either.

I started working on better grass for the foreground, but then got
distracted by the balloon.  I'll have to work out some ways to get the
grass to grow more realistically into the sides of the path.  I'll
probably use whatever near-view grass shapes to create tufts in the path
as well.

The current working version has a cluster of balloons floating over the
field.  I'll be adding more elements as I get the existing ones cleaned up.

-- Chris R
--
-- Chris R