POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floating - WIP : Re: Floating - WIP Server Time
3 May 2024 11:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floating - WIP
From: RATH, CHRISTOPHER A
Date: 15 Apr 2024 15:31:08
Message: <661d807c$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/13/2024 2:55 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> "RATH, CHRISTOPHER A" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> This is a work-in-progress inspired by a photo I took of my grandson
>> chasing soap bubbles in his yard.  As usual, it was supposed to be a
>> brief doodle, but has morphed beyond that.  I have started adding other
>> things that "float" in various ways to model in the scene as well.
>
> Are those floating objects intended to be bubbles?  They look like solid water
> droplets.  Hollow bubbles do not invert the scene behind them.
>
> The cracks in the pink granite blocks are conspicuously regular, but I'm sure
> you already have plans for those.

I fixed the issue with the bubbles.  The objects were defined to allow
for a variable wall thickness between 0.33 and 2 microns.  In my
experiments the test bubbles were all 1 micron or more thick and they
always looked right.  However, when I used a value < 1, I was running
into the floating point range problem that was giving very weird results.

So, I changed the thickness range so no bubble is ever less than 1
micron thick and now they look much better.

I'm playing with the fountain crack and the balloon texture now and will
post an update later.

--
-- Chris R