POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step : Re: 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step Server Time
3 May 2024 19:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3-D printing via 3D SLICER app-- step by step
From: Ilya Razmanov
Date: 10 Apr 2024 10:38:58
Message: <6616a482$1@news.povray.org>
On 06.04.2024 14:24, Kenneth wrote:

> This is a step-by-step guide to 3-D-print almost any type of POV-ray object or
> model (bicubic-patch objects being the exception)  -- mathematical primitives
> like spheres, cylinders, etc. and CSG constructs of the same; isosurfaces;
> 'object patterns'; height_fields from images or functions; triangle meshes; even
> simple extruded artwork-- most of which have always been a problem to print
> because no other app can presently import them from POV-ray and turn them
> into .stl files for printing.

Ok, thinking of cheaper modifications to STL producing process, I
decided to make an STL-producing version of my previous PNG heightfield
to POVRay mesh converter:

https://github.com/Dnyarri/img2mesh

I just uploaded img2mesh-STL.py file there, so anyone having Python
installed may give it a try. No compiled exe so far, since it's just 0.1
version supposedly having unknown number of unknown bugs. This is why
I'm quite interested in feedback from people using real 3D printers. So
far I checked resulting .stl file for compatibility with several viewers
and tried some 3D printing software called UltiMaker Cura 5.7.0, all
were able to successfully open my .stl files. However, I'm still not
sure that it guarantees successful printing, so, again, I will much
appreciate testing and feedback.

Now, going back to Kenneth's idea of slicing: I thought that perharps we
can replace complete interpolation of slices and tesselation with some
POVRay interpolation, that is, instead of black/white sections of object
use sections with height-gradient pigment, then use resulting PNG
rendering as heightfield for conversion into triangle mesh.

Surely, it will work only with "visible" half of the object; I still
haven't figured out universal solution but that printing software seem
to be capable to import several .stl and then place it on top of each
other. Maybe, in combination with Kenneth's slicing but in gradient
variant, this will allow assembling complex objects.

Ok, my typing resources seem to be exhausted for today, right next to
thinking ones. May be later.

Again, I would be very grateful for testing and finding issues.

--
Ilyich the Toad
https://dnyarri.github.io/