POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Space Cargo (WIP 3) : Re: Space Cargo (WIP 3) Server Time
3 May 2024 15:08:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space Cargo (WIP 3)
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 6 Apr 2024 04:36:20
Message: <66110984$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 02.04.24 19:07, jr wrote:

> bah, mere kilometres..  </grin>
>
> I guess I was simply surprised, after all these years of "western soldiers on
> patrol" media images which showed mostly the "drab bits" around Kandahar, that
> there are such lush ("verdant") places.

Yes, these eastern parts of Afghanistan are the only regions still
reached by the Indian summer monsoon, further west the forests quickly
give way to what used to be steppe vegetation with interspersed juniper
and wild pistachio groves, but has been reduced to semi-desert by many
decades of overgrazing... and also the eastern forests (which exist not
only in Nuristan, but also in the higher reaches of Khost and Paktia
provinces further south) have been massively damaged by overfelling
during the recent wars, for which mostly the Pakistani timber mafia is
to blame. But overall, the Nuristani woodlands still are preserved
better than those in Khost and Paktia, thanks to Nuristani culture with
its centuries-old woodcraft traditions, while the latter provinces are
populated almost exclusively by Pashtuns, which don't have this
affection towards wood and forests and thus simply plundered them...

Let's hope that at least in POVghanistan (or other incarnations of
Khyberspace) the eastern Afghan forests will be restore to their former
splendour one day!

See you there!

Yadgar