POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Views of objects in space -- how to questions. : Re: Views of objects in space -- how to questions. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:43:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Views of objects in space -- how to questions.
From: Alain Martel
Date: 10 Jun 2022 14:12:05
Message: <62a38975@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-06-10 à 12:40, Robert Heller a écrit :
> I am working on a starship simulation project and one of the things I am
> simulating is sensors, including visible light (eg camera/viewscreen).  Part of
> my simulation includes generating a planetary system (a star and a collection of
> planets and moons in orbit).  I am using povray to to generate a camera
> (viewscreen) image.  I would like to do two things that are not clearly outlined
> in the documentation that comes with the docs for POV-Ray I install on my Ubuntu
> 18.04 Linux system (version 3.7.0).  One is to create a "sky sphere" containing
> a starfield and the other is to create a light source for the "star" at the
> center of the planetary system.  I would like the shadows to be realistly sharp
> (posibly allowing some "fuzzyness" for planets with atmospheres).  Has anyone
> used POV-Ray to do this and if so, what are the recogmendations.

The light from that central star only need a simple point light
surrounded by the body of the star as a looks_like object.
Sample :
light_source{0, rgb StarColour*10 //make it pretty bright.
    looks_like{
        sphere{0 100
               pigment{rgb StarColour}
               finish{emission 1}// make it self illuminated
         }
    }
}

The lone zero get expanded to <0,0,0>.
The part after «rgb» can be changed to any colour you want, such as :
rgb<1, 5, 20>/*a blue star*/
rgb<3, 1, 0.2>/*a red dwarf*/

For the planets with an atmosphere, you should use two concentric
spheres. One with an opaque pigment for the surface, and a transparent
one with the hollow option to contain some scattering media to simulate
the atmosphere.
For a gas giant, don't use the inner sphere, just increase the media's
density.