POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Sep 2021 03:02:38
Message: <61443d8e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16/09/2021 om 18:02 schreef Alain Martel:

>> On 2021-09-15 6:22 PM (-4), Samuel B. wrote:
>>>
>>> "A" points to three features I suspect might have been produced by
>>> asteroids
>>> scraping the surface. Notice how they seem to have occurred on the
>>> sides or
>>> upper portions of a (really large) sloping hill? To me that indicates
>>> they were
>>> perhaps caused by asteroids hitting the moon at glancing angles...
>>> But I can
>>> definitely see how they could have been caused by collapsed lava tubes.
>>

>> intuitive, but as far as I know, impact craters are always circular,

>> a series of craters, rather than a linear gouge.
>>

> There are a very few craters that are not circular. You can count them
> on your fingers. When the impact angle is extremely shallow, the crater
> can get elongated.
> I've seen photos of three of those.

In my answer to the ng which went to the wrong destination, I commented
(more or less) as follows:

A: those are colapsed rills indeed.

B: those are my "lava flows". Possibly, they may be also or partly,
something else, like almost completely buried impact crater rims. The
curvature of some parts may hint at this. However, my first gut feeling
is "lava flows" (I might still be wrong). ;-)

@Alain Martel: you are right. See for instance:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-15269-x

--
Thomas