POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Granite_21 - the final macro : Re: Granite_21 - the final macro Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 - the final macro
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Sep 2021 02:45:55
Message: <6142e823$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16/09/2021 om 01:23 schreef Samuel B.:
>> (...)
>> Only, as a freshman, I was not particularly interested in
>> this branch of geology! Hammering away at overturned, anticlinal rock
>> sections: /That/ was what life was about! ;-)
>
> Yeah, being out in the field is wonderful. I know our reasons for being out
> there were for different reasons, but I also know the thrill of finding
> something interesting and tracking it down. I really miss it.

I can understand that.

>> Op 14/09/2021 om 01:14 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> It is a cool program, I just wish I could figure out my HKL issues so I can do
>>> more with it. (My previous searches didn't turn up much useful info, or maybe I
>>> wasn't comprehending what I saw...)
>>>
>> I know what you mean. These are a couple sites which explain the use of
>> the Wulff net. There are more of course, but these are fairly basic.
>>
>> http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM25/AM25_689.pdf
>> https://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/stereographic/wulff_construct.php
>>
>> However, to tell the truth, I remain a bit baffled when I see those
>> things again, after all those years. I am not really sure I understand;
>> I think you are more familiar with all this.
>
> No, I don't think I'm any more familiar with these things than you are...
> probably less so. Thanks for the links. But I looked at them and to be honest,
> the information looks very thick. So thick I'm not actually sure if it would be
> any help in my endeavors...

Yeah... I know what you mean. One of the reasons I didn't get very far
in crystallography. I have some 3D visualisation skills :-) but these
kind of exercises always left me profoundly baffled I confess. Otoh, I
believe they /may/ unlock certain geometrical symmetry problems proper
to certain mineral classes.

--
Thomas