POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts : Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
16 Apr 2024 05:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
From: Alain Martel
Date: 14 Sep 2021 12:10:00
Message: <6140c958$1@news.povray.org>

> Blobs are faster to parse and render than simple spheres? I didn't know that!

Not parse faster. The rendering can benefit from the internal bounding
and hierarchy mechanism of the blob.

> Overall, it sounds like #read-ing the generated data file from disc as an
> #include file would be the only time concern, re: parsing; Alain's extreme
> example of 50 000 000 'things'--even as simple data points/radii-- might take a
> fair amount of time to #read. But I've never used such a really huge .inc file,
> so I don't know for sure.

In my case, it was done using a recursive macro. The parsing time was a
little over 10 minutes, the bounding time using +bm2 about 2 to 3 minutes.

Parsing of a sequential cluster of 75000 small spheres should not take
more than about a minute. The bounding time only a few seconds.