POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts : Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
23 Apr 2024 21:36:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
From: Alain Martel
Date: 13 Sep 2021 11:37:38
Message: <613f7042$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
> Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
> coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
> with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).
>
> But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
> small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
> be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
> performance of the renderer?
>
> The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
> optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

There are scenes containing several millions of objects that render
rather quickly. I recently rendered a scene containing over 50 000 000
cones using high quality radiosity that rendered in about 12 hours. It
was a fractal from an old IRTC contest where I increased recursion level
by 3 and added radiosity.

As your objects are simple spheres (one of the faster shape to render),
opaque, non-reflective, counting only in the thousands and plain
texturing, POV-Ray should have no problem rendering it.
In the case of large files, simple shapes, parsing time is often
affected more than render time.

On a modern computer, memory requirement is a non-issue for even
millions of spheres. Those could even be individually textured with
almost no effect on the performance.

I would suggest using +bm2 on the command line to use the octree
partitioning feature. When you have thousands of objects, it usually
improve the rendering performance.