POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Luna, Moon... desert satellite : Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:10:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Luna, Moon... desert satellite
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 11 Sep 2021 12:34:58
Message: <613cdab2$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 10.09.21 01:40, Samuel B. wrote:

> Unfortunately, the bump maps appear to be 8-bit grayscale, not 16-bit. Even
> though IrfanView reports a 16-bit format, my tests in POV-Ray showed major
> terracing artifacts like you would expect from a lower bit depth. (Not seen here
> because I kept the resolution below a certain size). I should probably try the
> maps them out in other programs to see if POV is at fault, although I doubt it
> is...

Is there anywhere on the Web a tool to convert 16-bit PNGs to 16-bit
(red/green) POV-Ray heightfields?

Or any other way to handle 16-bit png in POV-Ray, i. e. so that
eval_pigment() actually reads in 65536 rather than 256 different gray
values?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Love Now Till Eternity (Asia)